Home

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Banana Walnut Muffins :)

Soooo....my mom dropped in today :) Ha Ha you gotta love my mom. Peeks behind all the doors and gives me her advice. She means well. Love you Mom!!! I am certain I will probably be the same. But in an effort to be inviting and home-y, I made her and Bob some banana muffins....not to mention make the house smell better :) I used the basic Betty Crocker muffin mix. I definitely would have changed one thing. I would have used 1/2 brown sugar. It needed that depth of flavor and sweetness. I may even try half whole wheat on the next batch. Its again a basic mix that you can add any fruit into. Very quick to make and I doubled up the batches and made a dozen jumbo muffins.


MUFFINS

Preheat oven to 350. Grease Jumbo Muffin tins. Makes 12.
(this would make 24 regular muffins but up the temp to 400 and bake for 18 minutes)

3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar (optional:1/3 white, 1/3 brown)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup cooking oil

In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.

In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter will be lumpy)

Now here is where you get creative. 

Fold in 3/4 cup of blueberries and 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel.
or
1 cup of coarsley chopped cranberries and 2 extra tablespoons of sugar
or
3 to 4 mashed bananas and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts

Optional Streusal Topping:
Combine 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts.
(I would have done this but forgot and had already put them in the oven)
I always brush the tops with butter when they are done.
Another nice touch is dusting with sugar.


or for a savory muffin:
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack
I would even add some green chilies and then brush the tops with that Papa Johns garlic butter that I never use except in a recipe.

Bake for 30 minutes and cool on a rack for 5.
Serve Warm


2 comments:

  1. Love it that you post your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris...it saved me the time of posting it for you later
    ha ha

    ReplyDelete